Marathon Country Tennis Club
Welcome to Marathon Tennis Club
Founder of the Marathon Country Tennis Club, is Stavros Panagopoulos, who has enjoyed a long career in all aspects of the sport of tennis in Greece. Stavros Panagopoulos came to Marathon in 1975, fell in love with the area and decided that, that was the place to realize his dream: the creation of a modern tennis club. Today at the Μarathon Country Tennis Club, coexist 3 generations: Stavros, his daughter Denise and her son Stavros, continuing the tradition. The name of Denise Panagopoulou, can be found in the book of records of International Tennis Federation as
a) the youngest ever player to participate representing her country in the Fed Cup (at the age of 12 y. 360 d old, in 1977) and
b) the youngest ever to have won a match.
Born in Athens on June 18th, 1964, Denise started playing tennis at the age of 6 with her father, Stavros Panagopoulos,
on Athens Lawn Tennis Club and became women’s champion in Greece at the age of 13 (1977). A title she retained and the following year and again in 1980. She competed with the Greek national women’s team that won the first place in the European Championship (European Championships) U 16. The same year with teammate Angeliki Kanelopoulou, won the gold medal in doubles at the European Championships, held in Nice. She took part with the Greek national team in Fed Cup for 6 years, from 1977 till 83. In 1979 she participated at the Mediterranean Games in Split and she won the Balkan Championships in 1980.
She was close to Νο200 in world rankings when she retired due to injuries. When she retired from-courts she dealt
• 1984 – 2001: Coach young athletes and coach of the national team girls under 16.
• 2001- 2004: Director of Tennis with the Organizing Committee “Athens 2004” for the Olympic and Paralympic
• In 2005 it was awarded by the ITF for her “Services to the Game”.
• At the invitation of the International Tennis Federation she worked for the “Beijing 2008” Olympic Games.
• 2004 – March 2009: Responsible for the organization and operation of the Olympic Tennis Center at AOSC.
• 2009 – 2011: Section Head Sport Tennis (Sport Manager) the World Games Special Olympics «Athens 2011».
• 2013: Technical Delegate (Technical Delegate) for International Tennis Federation (ITF) for the organization of the
Mediterranean Games in Mersin in Turkey.
• 2009 – Today: Technical Consultant to the Hellenic Olympic Committee for the reopening of the Panathenaic Stadium
and responsible for the educational program “I Love Sports-Kids’ Athletics».
Our club operates since 1976 and stands as the main development nucleus of tennis in East Attica, offering some of the most advanced facilities.
The Club has 11 courts (8 green set, 1 synthetic grass and 2 clay courts).
All courts are equipped with floodlights so that matches can take place after sunset. In our modern facilities (that include changing rooms, restaurant, guest rooms, gym) we have hosted at times teams and national teams from abroad, which hold training sessions in Greece while in 2003 and 2004 we succesgully hosted European Championships for under 14. In our facilities one can enjoy a drink or meal at our family restaurant and relax from everyday life in a friendly environment.
Excellent coffee, homemade cakes and pastries keep you company in case you just want to see our young (and not so young) players or while you are waiting your children or friends to end their training session or tennis match. Free WiFi connection for who or Internet connection is required each time. You can visit us by car without worrying about where to park, since the Club has its own spacious parking lot. In addition, a small children’s playground awaits our youngest members, who can have fun in a protected and monitored environment.
What could be better than holidays and sport combined?
Marathon Country Tennis Club is the only club in the area, which provides professional training, accommodation and traditional cuisine, in combination with the summer holidays.
• The club’s homey atmosphere and welcome environment, where tennis lovers share their passion, is ideal to serve our core goals, which include consistent training, learning of modern tennis of all levels, coaching for professional tennis techniques as well as the emotional preparation and support for all athletes. Our ultimate aim is to inspire the youths and let them love not only tennis, but also athletics and sportsmanship in general.
• Each day starts with a warm-up, morning coaching, drills and exercises for physical fitness. In the afternoon, our members enjoy the sea in the Schoinia beach for a refreshing break, followed by lunch and rest, in preparation for the evening activities.
• The program ends with the conduct of single and double games, during which, our young athletes can practice and test what they have learned, in real life conditions.
• After the training sessions, we analyze each athlete’s game, identify weaknesses and reward good efforts!
• Once a week, our members have the option to enjoy themselves in our open-air cinema on the beach.
• The young tennis players, not only benefit from daily coaching, but also spend enjoyable holidays, making the most out of the countryside and the sea. The sessions start every Monday morning and stopped at noon Friday. Thus the children spend the weekend with their parents and return to the club on Sunday evening.
We are proud because we host many international teams in our Club. In addition to American Community Schools, which hosts the International Championships with teams from around the world, we have the of hosting teams with their coaches from different countries (Israel, Turkey … ). Thus, children, in addition to tennis, come into contact with culture, our history – with visits to Historical sites – while making a a historic place. And of course, by participating in games with the children of our own group, they make new friends and have a lot of fun.
Marathon Tennis Club Contact Info:
Sliman 31 – Marathon Beach – Attiki, Marathon 19007
T: +30 22940 55481 – +30 22940 56433