- Located at the southwest coast of Peloponnese, Greece
- The no1 local product is the olive oil
- Main cities & tourist villages: Kalamata, Pylos, Stoupa, Kardamili, Methoni, Koroni, Finikounta, Petalidi, Gargaliani, Marathopoli, Filiatra, Kyparisia
- Historical & archeological sites close by: Mycenae, Olympia, Messene, Corinth, Epidaurus, Temple of Apollo, Isthmia, Sikyon, Nemea, Tiryns, Nafplio, Sparta, Mystras, Monemvasia, Castles of Koroni / Methoni / Pylos, Palace of Nestor
- Navarino Bay & Kalamata Bay. All year training conditions for sailing
- Kalamata International Airport
- Good weather, April to November to practice outdoor sports, leisure activities, yoga
- Virgin islets, Wild life at Gialova lagoon, Taygetos mountain, sandy beaches
- Costa Navarino Golf resort
- Gastronomy based in quality olive oil & wine
- Non busy & value for money at low season
Costa Navarino Golf Resort
Open: February to November
Navarino Dunes, 5 stars, 2 properties
774 Rooms, Suites and Villas
Full Spa and Thalassotherapy center
2 Golf courses (18-hole)
Sports & Activities:
- Indoor heated pools, Outdoor pools
- Indoor basketball hall
- Fitness center
- 4 Tennis courts & 1 Padel court
- Beach & Water sports (wind/kite surfing, SUP)
- Sailing tours
- Mountain bike, Bike center
- Guided Hiking tours
- Running paths
- Yoga & fitness sessions
- Cart facility
- Rock climbing indoor wall
Lagouvardos Surf Spot
Lagouvardos beach is the top surf spot in Messinia, located 3 km from the village Marathopoli, walking distance to accommodation.
This beach is ideal for surfing but also for swimming and simply relaxing. Learn everything from proper surfing techniques (even for children) to SUP and windsurfing basic. Surf schools remain open all year round.
Stay at Marathopoli & at Lagouvardos.
We suggest www.lagouvardos-apartments.gr
More options on request, as well.
Marathopoli seaside village. The picturesque seaside village Marathópoli or Marathos, is situated in the southwestern part of Messenia, Peloponnese, at the Navarino coast, 55 km from Kalamata airport and 280 km from Athens airport.
Marathopoli is a hidden jewel for sports & outdoor activities, offering natural hiking trails in the olive oil valley, coastal road routes & off road trails for cycling, scuba diving spots at the Proti island…
Marathopoli is the right place to stay when you like to visit natural attractions and archaeological sites:
- Voidokilia beach (25 km)
- Pylos & its Venetian castle (33 km)
- Methoni Venetian fortress (45 km)
- Ancient Messene (55 km)
- Ancient Olympia (80 km)
- Kyparissia town (27 km)
- Kalamata city (55 km)
- Taygetos mountain (65 km)
Hiking Proti Island
Imagine exploring a virgin island, swimming & snorkeling at crystal waters and ship-wreck!
- Where: Proti Island – Marathopoli village
- Hiking Terrain: Challenge gravel and rocky route, 100/300 meters elevation
- Period of Operation: All days
- Price: 35€/person
- Hiking: 2 hours – Total: 4 hours (09.15 – 13.15)
- Minimum Attendance: 2 (during summer) & 8 persons (during Spring, Autumn)
- Level Requirements: Basic physical condition, 16 years and above
Proti Island in the Ionian Sea, on the west coast of the Peloponnese; the island is located only 1 mile from the port of Marahopoli village of Messenia. The trip duration with a boat is only 10 minutes. The maximum length of Proti island is 3.6 km and the total hiking paths are 2.5 km.
The hiking starts from the Vourlia beach, walking to the left to meet citadel ruins from the ancient times, then we walk at the top of the hill, almost 300 meters altitude to enjoy the panoramic view, then we walk down to a secret beach and after that we return to Vourlia beach to catch our boat back to Marathopoli village. The island’s name derives from the sea god Proteus, son of Poseidon. And that is why Proti Island resembles a crocodile: when the Greek deity Proteus would become angry, in his wrath he would transform into a beast and take the form of an island – the Isle of Proteus. Proti Island possesses great archaeological importance. Citadel ruins, with a circular turret wall, all part of an ancient acropolis, still remain and are dated among the Mycenaean and Pre-classical Periods.
Meeting Point: Marathopoli village, at the port you will find our boat “Proti Cruises”
www.proticruises.gr. Meeting time: 09.15
English speaking Guide, Boat transfer from/to Marathopoli village port, Free time for swimming
What to bring: Swimwear, Towel, Hat & Sun lotion, Water, Long trouser, Sport shoes
Bookings: On request basis and availability, Confirmation 24 hours prior the tour date by email@example.com
- DMS 37° 3′ 0″ N, 21° 33′ 0″ E
- Decimal 37.05, 21.55
- Geo URI geo: 37.05,21.55
- UTM 34S 548905 4100560
Trekking Taygetos Mountain
4/5 hours (morning). Incl mountain guide. 35 € / person. Minimum 6 / max 12 participants. Highlights: The ultimate summer hike, Dumbitsia is a wildlife refuge (designated Natura site) which towers above the awesome Vyros gorge.
Our hike begins at Exochori, elevation of 450 m.
We come to Dumbitsia plateau after a 2.5 km uphill walk with commanding views over the gorge
Bike Guided Tour at the beaches
15 km, 3 hours. Kalamata or Gialova/Voidokilia or Finikounda. Other locations as well. Incl swim time, bike rental, helmet, guide. 40 € / person. Minimum 6 / max 12 participants.
Highlights: The routes cross the coast and we stop at the best beaches on the way, fun with cycling pleasure!
Bike Rental, all Messinia
Incl helmet, info. Delivery at hotel with extra charge. Discounts on multiple day rentals. 20 € / day. Minimum 1 / max 20 bikes.
Highlights: Kalamata features a long cycle paths network to enjoy
Indoor Sport Facilities
Find indoor arenas in Kalamata & Pylos. for Training & Events on Basketball, Gymnastics, Volleyball, Handball, and other sports. Hire the entire arena for one or for many days, upon your coach training program. Supporting facilities, equipment & friendly games on request. Tailor made prices all year round.
Kalamata Indoor Hall
Pylos Indoor Hall
Tennis courts at Kalamata. Make your training week or just hire the court for 1 hour enjoying tennis by the sea! 4 artificial clay tennis courts and indoor café-restaurant, rest rooms, massage on request.
Beach Volley Facilities
Beach Volley at Kalamata. Make your training week or just hire the court enjoying beach volley by the sea! 2 courts and café, rest rooms, massage on request.
Speed Kart Park
Kart Park at Romanos, Navarino speed experience, enjoy driving. 40 € / 12 minutes per person. Minimum 1 / max 20 participants. The park is open 17.30 – 24.00. Highlights: Equipped with brand new CRG karts, a state of the art timekeeping system, a lighting system for evening hours and high standard simulators.
Swimming & Pools
Messinia features two Swimming Pools for training, both at Kalamata city
- 50m outdoor pool at Elite city resort
- 25m outdoor pool at Kalamata center
Kalamata bay is an ideal location for open water swimming training all year round!
Football / Athletics Facilities
Messinia features three Football fields & one facility for Athletics training:
- Kalamata stadium that includes one football field, 6 lanes for athletics, gym (the stadium hosts the Papaflesia Athletics event every year)
- Gargaliani football field (plus indoor hall & gym)
- Messini football field (the closest to airport)
The football facilities are been used by the local clubs for the Greek championship. There are plenty of free available hours every day to hire them anytime around the year. We may organize all support services on request (transfers, friendly games, gym, massage rooms, healthy meals, etc).
Kite Surf Spot
Romanos beach is the best spot for Kite Surfing in Messinia. SurfSalad station is located at the Costa Navarino beach, providing lessons and rentals, from April to October. Prices on request and availability.
Water Ski & Fun Action
Divari Beach is facing Navarino bay, located only 5 minutes from Gialova village. The water sports center provides many options for fun in the water from April to October.
- Canoe kayak 15€/hour
- SUP 20€/hour
- Pedal boat 20€/hour
- Fun tubes 25€/person
- Banana safari trip minimum 6prs 35€/p. (45’)
- Water Ski lessons 50,00€/ride
- Wakeboard lessons 50,00€/ride
- Wake surf lessons 50,00€/ride
- Catamaran hobie cat 65€/hour
Sea Kayaking Spots
Sea Kayak enthusiasts are choosing Messinia for its amazing spots at different beaches & villages:
- Gialova / Navarino Bay
Outdoor activities agencies organize all year round half day tours for small groups. Amateurs and experienced kayakers are going to love Messinia.
Read below the description for the Kalamata Kayak Tour, as an example.
This is a coast to coast trip along the seaside villages east of Kalamata. From the beachfront of the Messinian capital to the seaside villages of the region of West Mani such as Almyros, Mikri Mantinia, Paleochora, Akrogiali, Santova and Kitries, we discover numerous small beaches, spectacular rock formations and turquoise waters. At a distance we get a sight of the foothills of mount Taygetos
Scuba Diving Spots
Messinia features three Scuba Diving Spots:
- Proti island, Ionian Dive Center
- Kalamata bay, Kalamata Dive Center
- Pylos bay, Pilos Dive Center
Find 5* PADI Scuba centers & Prices from 40 to 70 € / dive. Incl equipment, instructor, boat, transportation. Minimum 4 & maximum 12 participants. Period from April to November.
Sailing Train, Yachts, Boat Tours
Kalamata hosts the best marina in Messinia and Pylos provides a safe place for sailors, but with fewer services for the boats.
Kalamata bay & Pylos bay are ideal for training all year round. Support services by the local Sailing Nautical Clubs. Every year, races are been organized from the international and the Greek federations / clubs.
Many Yachts which are traveling Ionian Sea may stop for a rest at Pylos and Kalamata marinas.
Local agencies provide numerus sailing trips from half day to many days’ experiences. These tours are perfect for children, families, groups
- Kalamata Marina
- Kalamata bay for Training
- Leisure Tours start from Kalamata
- Pylos Marina
- Pylos / Navarino bay for Training
- Leisure Tours start from Pylos port
Yoga Places & Retreats
You may ask for Hatha Yoga class (private or in small groups) at the beach (Divari, Voidokilia, Lagouvardos, Gialova, Kalamata, Stoupa, Kardamili, Analipsi, Koroni, Finikounda, Methoni).
You may ask for a Yoga session at your hotel, on request and availability by the teacher.
You may even ask for the in-room Yoga Fit Kit. Rental Price: 5 € per day. Including yoga mat, ball, ring and block. (courier expenses may occur if your accommodation is located out of Kalamata).
There are three hotels that we suggest for yoga holidays or to host a yoga retreat for your group:
- Karalis Beach, Pylos
- Agrikies, Marathopoli
- Elite Resort, Kalamata
Massage Services & Gyms
Personal Massage services are provided at Kalamata, Pylos, Marathopoli, Gialova.
Sessions of 35 minutes or 60 minutes or 90 minutes.
A therapist may visit your accommodation facility at your training venue or we may arrange a session at the Gym in Kalamata.
Proposals for Sightseeing:
- Ancient Messene archaeological site
- Ancient Olympia archaeological site
- Nestor Palace archaeological site
- Nestor Winery Visit and Tasting
- Methoni, Koroni, Pilos Castles
- Boat Cruises at Navarino Bay & Islands
- Polylimnio Waterfalls
Ask for a Taxi Transfer:
Mercedes Benz 4seater 212E
Head Driver: Kostas Karahountris
Telephone: +30 6947 525848
Contact Person for b2b Agencies, VIP Requests: Georges Goutzioupas